I became an influencer partly through circumstance – I was a journalist – my by line and face are on thousands of news pieces, features, event agendas and videos. However, some of it is by design. I decided to make my opinions and viewpoints public.
However, I have an overarching philosophy that I stick to time and time again. (No matter what social media channel you use)
No one was ever influenced by a scheduled, approved PR ‘message’ ever ever ever…
…since the dawn of time
- People respond to other people.
- They respond to your real stories.
- The respond to people (and do business with) those they feel they *know*.
So, if you aim, to make yourself public, influence and become the type of person others feel *they know* – follow these helpful 10 Commandments of Influence.
The 10 Influencer Social Media Commandments
- Thou shall always ‘be yourself’
- Thou shall be consistent with your message
- Thou shall always write your own posts <==Be authentic!
- Thou shall never attack people – attack ideas <==Lesson, truly learned, on that one.
- Thou shall only name people, if you are praising them
- Though shall never be afraid of ‘self-promotion’ <==RT that praise!
- Thou shall never rely on someone else to ‘raise your profile’ <==You need to put in the graft, it will show!
- Thou shall engage with those who engage with you
- Thou shall spread your influence to those who need it <==RT the cool and the interesting
- Thou shall never covet your neighbours ‘influence’ (This is not a competition)
If you follow those commandments
- Your posts will find resonance with others
- Your views and opinions will be brave and have merit
- You will gain followers and eventually gain friends
- Those ‘friends’ then do the work for you and RT and mention and ask you to speak at events and be quoted in papers and will recommend you to others. Without you ever having to ask.
Now go forth and INFLUENCE!